|To Our Community,
The recent protests sweeping the country are a long, overdue wake up call for many individuals and organizations across the world, including The Funhouse. Being silent is not an option. We recognize The Funhouse must do more to openly fight racism and educate our youth and ourselves to be anti-racist.
We know Black Lives Matter, and that “matter” is the minimum. These words hold power, space, and honor for Black people, whom our nation’s systems have been failing. Systems that are rooted in unjust treatment and senseless violence that white people have benefited from for far too long.
As an organization helping to raise the next generation of leaders, we have a responsibility to openly declare that racism and discrimination will not be tolerated. The Funhouse stands in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, while vowing to do more than just make a statement. We commit as educators to foster awareness within each child to be inclusive and compassionate. As individuals who work with youth, we know our actions speak louder than our words. The Funhouse commits to the following actions:
– Immediately direct more resources towards ensuring diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the forefront of our programming.
– Scale up efforts to equip our staff and board with additional materials and training, such as dedicated time in weekly staff meetings, focusing on equity, and supporting anti-racism workshops.
– Create a more inclusive environment by adding more children’s books with Black, Indigenous, People of Color protagonists and additional materials that address race and inequalities.
– Provide anti-racism resources to parents.
– We will be partnering on this with our community members of all ages, and hope you will share your ideas and feedback with us. We are learning, we are growing, and we are listening.
The Funhouse Board, Executive Director, and Staff